I’ve learned (from Facebook) the fastest ways to be dismissive of someone who has a stronger Biblical argument than you.
1. Say, “Don’t judge me!” This seems to be the only “Bible verse” that EVERYONE knows. They will have no choice but to bow the knee!
2. If that doesn’t work, say, “You are taking the Bible out of context.” This will send them running with their tail between their legs! Even if they post the ENTIRE BIBLE, stick with this one.
3. Tell them, “That is just your interpretation.” This works for anything. Even, “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth,” can be dismissed with this (and the previous) argument.
4. If someone quotes something from the Old Testament, just say, “That doesn’t apply. That is the Old Testament. We’re under grace, not the Law.” If someone quotes something from the New Testament, say, “That was just to their culture, it doesn’t apply to ours.”
5. This one is a killer! When faced with a Scripture that you simply can’t refute any other way, say, “I prayed about it, and God showed me that this is the opposite of what you believe!” This argument is airtight! They won’t dare argue with God! 🙂
6. If all else fails, resort to name-calling and personal insults.
These are the best ways to ensure that you never end up having to change your position on anything!
The only other recourse is to actually read and study the Bible for yourself, so you know what the Bible really teaches. But that, of course, takes effort and diligence. These six methods will save you a lot of time and hassle.